A Checklist for Picture Book Critiques
- Is every word necessary?
- Does it read well out loud?
- Is there descriptive text that is redundant with the images?
- Are the language and subject matter appropriate for the chosen age
- Is the drawing strong and consistent with the chosen style?
- Are the illustrations showing the most important or interesting part
of the story?
- Do color and page layout enhance the mood of the story?
- Is the composition strong?
- Is the movement to the right?
- Are important elements away from the gutter?
- Are characters drawn consistently?
Story and Art
- Do the images and words compliment each other?
- Does the story move forward with every page?
- Are the characters interesting?
- Are the rules of grammar and drawing correct and consistent? (exceptions
for intentional style)
- Do all aspects of the book feel as if they come from the same world?